Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Survived!

I Survived! It took a lot longer because of complications, but more about that later.

WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURES BELOW!

Yesterday I arrived with my wife early, we were supposed to be there at 7:30 A.M., we got there at 7:00. I get out of the car and turn to my wife and said, "Am I nuts?" She says, "No, you've been planning this for a while and you just realized you actually have to go through with it!"

So we're sitting in the lobby of this high-rise office building in Troy, Michigan waiting for the elevators to be turned on. I had to wear loose fitting clothes, so I chose a button pajama top and pull on sweat pants. So I felt kinda awkward in this beautiful granite and marble lobby looking like a homeless person. Then I spot the doctor walking across the 2nd floor balcony who then looks down at us and says hello, and invites us to come on up.

So up to the 11th floor we went. I gave my wife a kiss and I went off to the operation suite that was on the same floor, but around corner. I was lead into the pre-op room where I had to change into what looked like black burlap undies, the usual operation gown with footies. The black gauze underwear was there because they had to get at the adipose tissue from my abdomen to use in my face.

While I was waiting there I started talking to one of the nurses, we were both waiting on the doctor and the anesthetist. She looked at my legs and asked me if I was cold. I said no, and that I shave my legs because I'm a cross-dresser. She didn't seemed phased by this at all, and we got to talking how times have changed. I also told her how we have a GLBT organization at work, and how it helps both the company and it's employees. She thought that was a great idea.

The anesthetist arrived and put in the I.V.. She did a great job by the way, wiped the alcohol off before poking me with a numbing agent, then came the I.V. needle. I didn't feel a thing. The doctor came in had me sit up on the gurney and drew marks all over my face. He had to mark me sitting up because your face will lay differently while you are laying down on the operating table.

At 8:30 A.M. they had me in the operation room. They put me on the operating table and was trying to get me comfortable. I'm 6'4" tall so like Ned in the Dr. Seuss book (Who am I? My name is Ned. I do not like my little bed. This is no good. This is not right. My feet stick out of bed all night.) my feet stuck out on the end. They had to add an extension!

I thought the doctor would have to shave my hair but he said no. He said he hasn't done that in 25 years. He uses a anti-biotic gel to spread the hair apart and is able to cut in between the follicles . Heals faster, looks better.

I don't remember the anesthetist saying anything, but I was out. They used a twilight anesthesia though I don't remember talking to them at all during the operation. I woke up around 12:30 P.M. I remember barely coming out and having to go something awful. The next thing I know, it's we've got to go back in.

I woke up again around 3:30 P.M. I guess I had a couple of popped blood vessels and they weren't sure if it was due to me straining when I had to go or what it was. I was put under a general and the blood vessels were repaired. I believe this was near by the area behind my ears where the sutures were and the draining tubes were located. There were two tubes, one on either side draining into a small pouch that I was able to put in my pajama shirt pocket. It had to be emptied from time to time.

Well I'm sure you want to see this train wreck, as this is what I looked like when I got home.

"Don't Hate Me 'Cause I'm Beautiful!"



Photobucket

All I could eat was saltines and apple juice. I had an ice pack on my eyes 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off and on my neck.

The pain was the worst for the first 24 hours. In the middle of the night I had a splitting headache. This is with pain pills every 4 hours. So my wife took my blood pressure and called the doctor. He said it was to be expected because of the general anesthetic, to think of it like a hang over.

At 11:30 A.M. today I had my bandages off for a short time and had the tubes removed. This has helped reduce the pain. I actually get to shower from the neck down today!

This is what the drainage tubes and container look like:

Photobucket

This is what I look like today, a little less swollen and not so bloody:

Photobucket

The bandages come off tomorrow! Yea!

No comments: